Change of Name

change of name

Related to divorce:  If you changed your name when you got married, you may want to resume your former name upon your divorce.  If so, you can simply ask for this in the complaint for divorce, and the family court will allow you to resume your former name as soon as your divorce becomes final.

Not related to divorce:  You can petition to change your name at any time, even if you are not getting divorced.  If you want to change your name separate from a divorce action, you must file a name change petition in the probate and family court, along with the appropriate documentation and filing fee.  The process includes a criminal record check and publication in a newspaper.

For children:  It is very difficult to change the name of a child, but there are circumstances where it may be appropriate.  There are different legal requirements for changing the name of a child, in consideration of whether the name change is related to divorce, adoption, paternity, or for some other reason.  You should be sure to discuss this with an attorney and review your options before proceeding with any name change for a child.

Contact the Levitt Law Group today to discuss any issue related to a name change in Massachusetts.  We will be happy to meet you with and review your options.